NVLTAP supports recruitment and retention efforts for local agencies. Our workforce development services include:
- Maintaining career development matrices that align knowledge and skills requirements for standard agency positions to available training.
- Providing a Student Dashboard that any employee or employer can use to track training and career development progress.
- Offering certificate programs that can be used as career development milestones for employees.
- Providing scholarship funds for highway maintenance college degree programs.
Tips on Recruiting and Retaining Employees
- Make workforce development part of the agency’s strategic plan.
- Promote inclusivity and diversity in the workforce.
- Use data to verify that pay and career path development align with local wages.
- Survey employee satisfaction and act on the feedback.
- Create a modern work environment, both in and out of the office.
- Support flexible work schedules.
- Establish careers paths for all positions, including interns.
- Develop an accessible workforce development toolkit.
- Allow employees to join a union.
Listen to the Transportation Research Board’s webinar to learn how other agencies use these strategies.