The Road Scholar Program trains roadway transportation workers to be successful on the job.
The Road Scholar Program can be completed over a 5-year period by:
- Completing seven required trainings.
- Completing four elective trainings.
Upon completion of the program, participants receive a certificate of completion. Some agencies use Road Scholar completion to justify pay increases and promotion. Ask your supervisor about this option.
Already enrolled? Check your status using the Student Dashboard!
Road Scholar Requirements
- Barrier Basics
- Basic Work Zone Traffic Control
- Keeping Your Agency (and You!) Out of Court (Tort Liability and Risk Management)
- Pavement Marking Maintenance and Installation
- Pothole Patching and Repair
- Managing Roadway Drainage Systems
- Sign Maintenance and Management
Road Scholar Electives (choose four)
- Chip Seal Best Practices
- Constructing & Inspecting Asphalt Paving Projects
- Constructing a Quality Crack Treatment
- Constructing Thin Surface Treatments for Asphalt Pavements
- Evaluating Pavement Condition
- Flagger Training
- Gravel Road Maintenance
- Introduction to Construction Management
- Introduction to Construction Site Stormwater Management
- Introduction to PAVER
- Low Cost Roadway Safety Improvements
- Pavement Condition Assessment Field Training
- Pesticide Applicator Training
- Practical Math: Using Common Math Skills to Solve Everyday Problems on the Job
- Road Safety 365
- Road Safety Champion Program : 4 core modules qualify as 1 elective each
- Solving ADA Design Challenges
- Weather-Related Operations for Supervisors