This workshop introduces essential components of the construction management process. By applying the information learned in the workshop, you can improve how you manage project risks, communications, delivery, and scheduling.
By the end the workshop, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the relationships among owner, contractor, and engineer on public works construction projects.
- Describe how to build and lead highly effective teams.
- Compare common project delivery methods (Design-Bid-Build, Construction Manager at Risk, and Construction Manager/General Contractor).
- Describe common types of contract documentation.
- Identify methods for selecting a construction contractor.
Who Should Attend
Anyone managing public works construction projects who needs to develop construction management skills or wants to improve specific aspects of their project management approach. This may include:
- Construction Inspectors.
- Engineering Consultants.
- American Public Works Association Members.
Introduction to Construction Management is not part of the Road Scholar Program.
Ken Atkins is currently a national Construction Manager/General Contractor (CM/GC) Subject Matter Expert (SME) within the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) Resource Center. Ken’s areas of expertise are leadership, innovation, strategic planning, building highly effective teams, and accelerated design and construction delivery (for DOT’s, Cities, Counties, and Tribes). Additionally, Ken teaches “Leadership / Human Factors” for the University of Florida. Kenneth is also a licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.) in Florida.
To register for the online July 7 session (8:00 am – 3:00 pm with 1 hour lunch + breaks), click here.
To register for the online July 9 session (8:00 am – 3:00 pm with 1 hour lunch + breaks), click here.
This course is offered free of charge, but participants must still register to reserve a seat. Course attendance is limited to 40 people.
Cancellations must be made one week prior to the workshop. Substitutions are accepted.
For questions, please email email@example.com.